How To Build An Affordable Compost Bin!


We have wanted a second compost bin for a
while, now how do I make that work with the materials we have on hand? Welcome to The Hippie Geeks. If you enjoy this video, be sure to subscribe
and hit the bell notification icon to catch all our new content! We are constantly trying to improve our systems
in the garden, and this year is no exception. We compost just about everything that we possibly
can. Between the chickens, the worm bins and the
compost bin, we have zero food waste. Every bit of the food that comes into our
house is either eaten by us, or goes into one of those systems. It is pretty great, but with the volume of
garden clippings and food scraps that we create, we have had the ability to start up a second
compost pile, and we are finally going to get to that today. We have a bit of material left over from a
project that we took apart last year, and we should be able to set up a simple, sturdy
compost bin for no additional cost. In the description though I will total up
what all of the materials would cost if you were to buy them new, so that you can see
what something like this would run you if you were interested in making it yourself. This bin is going to be four feet on a side,
so the first thing to do is to cut our material to length. I am not sure yet what I want to do with the
front, so I am going to cut up enough material for both sides and the back, and then figure
out the front after. We are not going to be putting a bottom on
this bin, I want to be able to bring the worms up from the soil to help break down all of
the material in this bin. We are going to have two horizontals and three
verticals per side, so for now I need twelve, four feet long sections of two by four. Now, at this point it started pouring and
I had to stuff the camera in the house for a little bit. I assembled the two sides, and then moved
on to the back. The way you build out a compost bin isn�t
terribly important, it just needs to be strong enough to hold the compost in. Our first compost bin is just four pallets
screwed together, and it has been working great for the last couple of years. Once I had the back and sides screwed together,
it was time to get it moved into place. First I had to move the kayaks and screens
out of the way, followed by the bricks that were blocking the gap in the bottom of the
fence in that corner. After raking back the layer of bark chips,
I just picked up the framing and put it roughly in place. Next I grabbed some scraps to get it level,
and then started digging up the lemon balm that was in the way. I am going to relocate it under the top bar
hive, so I just set it aside for now. I finally decided what I wanted to do with
the front of the compost bin, so it was back over to the chop saw. I wanted to make a one foot tall permanent
wall, so I got the pieces cut out quickly and screwed together, then mounted it to the
front of the compost bin. I needed to add some way to hold more horizontal
bars in place to keep the compost in as it fills up, so I added a couple more pieces
of two by four vertically, creating a lip that boards will be able to be put against,
and the pressure of the compost behind them will keep the boards in place. That is all that there is going to be for
the main structure, but now I need some way to hold the compost in. We are using up the rest of a roll of rabbit
wire that we had bought for the screens you can see on the left side of the video, but
just about anything will work. If you have to worry about rats, I would recommend
using hardware cloth, as they will not be able to fit thru the smaller spacing. You will also have to cover the top and front
to keep them out, but if you are dealing with a rat infestation you don�t have much of
a choice. I used lathe to hold the wire in place, with
four or five screws in each piece to keep it secured to the framework. Again, it doesn�t have to be super structural,
just enough to keep things in place. Once that was all finished up, I measured
the corners to make sure that it was square, and then put a couple of bricks in to keep
the sides in place. After that I finished off the front with some
chicken wire stapled into the framing, and then cut off the extra with a pair of wire
cutters. At this point, the structure is finished. I wanted to spread the bark chips out around
the area again, and then it was time to start moving material into this compost bin. We have quite a bit of material on top of
the various raised beds that hasn�t had time to break down, so we are going to throw
all of it into this bin on the bottom to start it off and give it the most time possible
to break down. All of the cardboard that was in the other
beds will be going in here, along with the top layer from the existing compost bin we
have. Our other compost bin has acted as a third
worm bin really, but there is quite a bit of material on top that hasn�t had time
to get broken down by the worms so I want to move it over, giving us access to the rich
wormy soil below. By moving all of that material to the new
compost bin, it is also getting seeded with red wiggler compost worms as that material
is full of them as well. You can honestly not have too many worms if
you are gardening. They are incredibly beneficial in so many
ways, and they make quick work of this material. If this is your first time here on The Hippie
Geeks it would be wonderful to have you subscribe! This channel is all about helping you visualize,
learn and create. If you enjoyed this video give it a like and
check out our Patreon page or Merch Store to support the channel directly. Thanks again, and we will see you on the next
one.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *